Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 4 & 5- Dominican Republic

Like I said in the previous post, Alicia and I taught at the Spanish literacy station.  There were a few possible positions we had to choose from.  There were group leaders that lead the groups from station to station.  They essentially helped with flow and kept camp spirit up.  Then there were five stations to choose from to teach: reading & art, recreation, health, English and then Spanish literacy.  The only station you were required to speak all Spanish was the Spanish literacy station.  I was feeling up for the challenge and so was Alicia!  Luckily we had Alyssa, who is getting a minor in Spanish.  It was a bit of a struggle at first, especially with putting together sentences.  I eventually graduated from my combination of point+ vocabulary word method of communication.  Another note:  there were a lot of commonalities between teaching kids in Detroit and the Dominican Republic in terms of both behavior and grade level disparities.  I was thankful for my past year in Detroit which gave me a good base for what would be appropriate when planning our lessons. 
Little Junior.
Lauren playing soccer with Eduardo.
Jump rope at recess. 
 
 
Waiting for camp to start.

Basketball by the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment