Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Winter on the Farm


Pictured:
1) Lots and lots of wood.
2) The woods of the back 40
3) Snow pups. 
4) Buds
5) Buddy running the fields.

1, 2, 3) Playing with my new macro extension tube from Christmas.  Not really sure what I will be using it for yet...besides random pictures like the ones above.  Doesn't the third picture reminiscent of a la Aura?


1)  Morning cuppa
2) Snow boots
3) Deer! 

1) Snow balls.
2) The kitchen decorated for the winter....a string of lights, candles, pine needles from our pine trees in a big mason jar.  Makes for cozy evenings.
3) The wood pile for the front stove.  
4) Pine needles
5) The Farm a la the first polar vortex
1) The start of my new cooking resolution has brought a lot of baking.  Frankly, baking has always scared me but it has slowly started to become a very meditative winter practice for me-- kneading the dough, letting it rise, and repeat.
2) Lovely company and weekends filled with friends and family (Not pictured: Rochelle's visit, Corey's visit, Sister's weekend)
3) Rainbow sunset from the first bedroom.  

The first winter month was tough for me.  
 We had just had the most glorious fall season that seem to stretch on forever filled with naps in the fields, nature walks, and the most beautiful colored leaves.  In November, winter came on hard and fast seemingly all in one week.  Those first few weeks were tough because I wasn't used to the cold temperatures, building fires, or being housebound.  

Slowly but surely, I found my winter rhythm filled with baking, soaking in the light, the occasional winter hike and lots of projects.  I am thankful that I have stopped to take some pictures of both the adventures and small moments. 

My good friend Catherine and I were reflecting on the seasons this morning when she made a remark that summed up my now perspective of winter "It's so comforting to accept that the natural way of winter is to rest, sleep, eat hearty, and stay warm.  It's winter and this is what my body needs".  This slow, steady, restorative, reflective, introverted winter is exactly what I needed.  I've learned to fighting it and just let it be....


No comments:

Post a Comment