Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sun Valley


Idaho Post3-1 Idaho Post 3-2 Idaho Post 3-3 Idaho Post 3-4 ******
Idaho Post 3-5 Idaho Post 3-6 Idaho Post 3-7 Idaho Post 3-9 ***** Idaho Post 3-10 Idaho Post 3-11 Idaho Post 3-12 Idaho Post 3-13 Idaho Post 3-14 Idaho Post 3-15


Sun Valley, Idaho becomes our home in every way for a while.  Our routines start to solidify: I make the dinner; she makes the coffee and tea.  I also make a mental note: Alicia journals the way that I would like to- full of whimsy and thought streams.  This is also the part of the trip that the planner must make peace with too high expectations.  Real life is not a Pinterest picture.  Real life is non-stop rain for a few days, car lights burning out, endless hours of driving, and hikes with cold-windy views.  By the next morning, I’ve decided to make peace with it.  After breakfast, I sit in the sunshine enjoying an Alicia cuppa, journal in hand and an excellent view of a mountain ridge. 

I’ve really enjoyed cooking on this trip.  Perhaps its something about traveling with a sister, they generally like the same foods that you do.  Despite having rustic cooking conditions, food is always a significant part of how I experience life.  I make asparagus sundried tomato one pot pasta, stuffed red peppers with quinoa and black beans, wilted garlicky kale with fried eggs and brothy rice, lemony couscous salad, skillet pizza with caramelized onions, and sundried tomato risotto. 
Alicia answers my dinners with beautiful eggs in a hole, cherry oatmeal, and strawberry toast for breakfast.  We sit on damp picnic tables with views of mountains. We savor every bite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment