Monday, November 23, 2009

Lessons from "Dear John"


First of all, read it.  I admit that I was first hesitant when Kelsy handed me this book.  I know of Nicholas Sparks' reputation as writing mushy love stories where someone always dies at the end (think The Notebook).  However, something about the book was endearing and believable.  The love story was anything but corny, fake or predictable.  A man in the army meets a senior in college on his leave for the summer.  They end up falling in love and end up writing letters back and forth to each other over the next year, promising each others futures to one another.
Anyways, my lesson learned was the importance of family in prioritizing your life.  I know that sometimes I think, I could go off or live anywhere I wanted, if I didn't have the ties to my family.  Sometimes, it almost feels like a burden or a weight or responsibility holding you down to stay in Michigan.  However, since reading the book, "Dear John" my thoughts have changed.  By the end of the book, he was left with no substantial family ties.  He had no desire to go move around or "do his thing", he only wanted family.  Think about it, what's the point if you have no one to share you life with.  It hit me after reading, that wow, I should be lucky to have this so called "burden" in my life, this tie back home.  As much as we say it, we don't always understand it, but family is truly one of the most important things.  
P.S. Watch the trailer for the movie!

1 comment:

  1. saw a preview for this today when i went to see new moon :]]

    it looks so good, i am going to have to read the book before i see this movie! lol

    <3 Mo

    ReplyDelete