Thursday, May 13, 2010

The "Perfect" Summer

Pictures that better describe this summer feeling.

The other day I was shopping with Mike's sister.  I'm not usually a big fan of malls.  However, I always get this feeling when I walk into a store like Pacsun or J Crew or American Eagle.  I subconsciously imagine (or believe) that my summers are something out of Blue Crush the movie or The Last Song.  I will have a fabulous summer wardrobe to wear on my days on the beach while I'm either surfing or hanging out with my ridiculously good looking boyfriend or that classic roadtrip out to Cali.  I will think "Oh! I need this dress for that perfect summer moment".  I get these feelings also when it's mid- February and I'm dreaming of how "perfect" this summer is going to be.

This past weekend, I went and saw The Last Song with my littlest sister.  First of all, Miley was pretty good ( I had low expectations though) and her little brother is the cutest.  Anyways, I left the movie with that same magical feeling.  Do these summers even exist or is at all a marketing scheme that have been implanted into the "how things should be" section of our brains?
American Eagle summer advertisments.

And then I find myself in the morning putting on sweats or jeans for work, hardly wearing any of that "perfect" summer attire.  I come back at 5 every night, hardly feeling that magical summer feeling I invisioned.  I guess when I think of my summer, I think of fun weekends spent at friend's cottages, not the 9-5 work schedule during the weeks.  My question for myself is how exactly do you make a summer memorable?  I think part of it is breaking out of the comfortable routinue of going to work, hanging out while watching TV and then going to bed.  I think perhaps "getting out of the house" is one of the best solutions.  Any suggestions?

Is this possible?- Ronnie & Will in The Last Song

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Em!! I always get those exact same thoughts/feelings. Sometimes I dress up for work or for going out to dinner to get that summer feeling that we get from the movies. I think it helps when the people you surround yourself with do the same! So...I'll try if you will! ;)

    Love, Cort

    ReplyDelete