This is the beginning of my favorite time of the year.
"A kick in my step"
It is rooted back into my childhood when I would anxiously wait for the first signs of spring and explode with constant joy once May came around. At the end of January, you can always hear the first tweets of the brave birds that stay through winter. For some reason hearing this noise has added a kick in my step, joy in my day and the biggest smile to my face. For me, it is the sounds of new life and Spring which awaits right around the corner. The majority of this past January has been me sulking in a fatigued, cabin fever induced coma. But things changed instantly when I heard the birds about a week ago. This is not the only thing I enjoy about this season. I remember staring back in 8th grade in my Applied Technology class, staring contently at the warm sun streaming in from the window. It caused some sort of peace and enchantment that seemed to only start sometime at the beginning of January. This continues to happen in one class or experience, each year on- Mrs. Perez's north corner window in 10th grade, my daily commutes to MSU's campus my senior year and now, the big windows in my 2nd story drawing studio---I gaze off at the warm light streaming through the windows. In an ironic way, these signs of spring allow me to enjoy the winter and the slushy changes into spring. Once, April/May come along I am in full on joy. The end of the school year has always been my favorite. The trilliums sprouting up in the woods, my birthday, the end of the year closing casualness that before college consisted of things like cleaning out our lockers and being able to wear shorts. I would be lying if I didn't say I was looking forward to the spring/ end of the year activities like graduation, confirmation mass, bridal showers, buying my graduation gown an my very last classes of my undergraduate education. Luckily, the birds and the warmth of the windows are keeping me grounded and enjoying the present. I'm sure that once these months slip by, I will be wishing they were still around.
This was a very dreamy post and I very much enjoyed reading every sentence. I almost forgot about how it felt to clean out lockers and wear shorts to school. Magical days, those were. Also, eating outside was a real treat that was never taken for granted in the last few weeks of school. ::sigh:: this was a lovely post!
ReplyDelete