Sunday, January 10, 2016

Thoughts from Costa Rica

 
1) The healing properties of simple food.  We ate a lot of food made by our own hands but with local influence.  Soaked beans and rice with a fried egg for breakfast.  Papaya and pineapple smoothies every morning made by Alicia.  Real farm to table restaurants where the farm started on the other side of the wall.  I felt healing in my belly and a glow in my cheeks by the end of the week that the winter nutrition of Michigan has yet to provide me.  Even more remarkable, during my travels home did I learn that the Nicoya Peninsula which we stayed on is one of the worlds 5 "Blue Zones" where people live the longest and most healthiest lives.  Coincidence? I think not.  Good thing I snagged a Costa Rican cookbook to make Gallo Pinto at home. 

2) The value in watching the sunset or sunrise.  This tradition has held true for a few years now.  Good reminder of our lives connected to earthy cycles. 

3) It is good to get out of one's own time and place.

4) We create traditions and routines even on vacation.  We visited this bakery nearly everyday of our trip as the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD but also a perfect match in vibe for the Patterson family.  Mid-afternoon we always seem to be in our usual table, ordering our iced coffees and smoothies and pastries.



6) Embrace childlike spirits.  Have fun in ways you do not typically.  Be curious in ways that your everyday life cannot afford you to be.  On the ferry ride home, Alicia and I watched a group of grown Ticos vulnerably and joyfully dance Bachata and Meringue in front of countless strangers.

 
7)Younger sisters make you feel like you have older sister superpowers.  

8) Rest and heal as makes sense to you.  For me, it meant doing the opposite of everything I do at home: not wearing make up, not dressing up, being extra silly, allowing periods of quietness, embracing feminine energy and wisdom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment