Friday, September 9, 2011

On What I've Been Eating Lately

I was first introduced to this salad through Mike's roommate's mother.  She is completely vegan and would send this salad home with him.  I tried it and was immediately hooked.  Each serving has 11 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein, meaning its great for the meatless, fiber loving fanatics (cough Cortny!).  I like to make it on Sunday and then bring it to lunch with me through out the week.
"Everyday Chickpea- Quinoa Salad":
2 cups cooked, cool quinoa
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 recipe Balsamic Vinaigrette

Recipe for Balsamic Vinaigrette [Made in a food processor]:
1/4 cup of cashew pieces
2 tablespoons chopped shallot
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon agave nectar
3/4 teaspoon salt
A few pinches of pepper

Combine in large mixing bowl!  The recipe makes around 2.5 quarts.

Emjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! I love trying new foods. I once tried to eat vegan for a week. It lasted all of 3 days, which I was happy with. I like meat too much :)

    ReplyDelete