Thursday, October 22, 2009

Becoming "Enlightened"

Currently, this semester I'm taking an Introduction to Buddhism class.  Something very important to Buddhism is enlightenment.  Well one day during dinner, I started to think about enlightenment in terms of my life.  I have always secretly wish to become one of those beloved, gracious and wise women.  Someone that smiles at everyone, makes everyone feel good, and genuinely enjoys life.  Someone who's happiness and love radiates from every poor, a women who is "enlightened" to the splendors of life and love.  I am far from it, but have always caught myself thinking some of the requirements for myself and what I should work to achieve in everyday.   Here are some random ones, both deep and light hearted:

Note: I do not mean this in any sacrilegious way.

1) To seek the best in everyone.  Look past personal biases people pass on to you as well as be conscious of personal biases you pass on to others.
2) Find more reasons to wear dresses any day and everyday.
3) Have a bookshelf filled with great books.  Books that I can pass down to my family one day when they ask me about a particular subject or need more knowledge.  This goes along with being a well read person.  Read more Mother Teresa books.  
4) Be gracious.  Be gentle.  Be kind.
5) Have great, timeless playlists.
6) Know when it's the right time to give opinions and when it's the right time to let people figure it out on their own.
7) Have a little faith and have great faith.
8) Don't get caught up in your own world of doubts and expectations.  Learn to let go and live.  Free yourself from constant worrying and comparison.  Learn to not over think and over analyze.
9) Even when you don't feel like it, do something new or something that gets you out of your comfort zone.
10) Be humble.  Don't pass judgement on others.  Don't put yourself on a pedestal.
11) Find ways to be inspired.
12) Don't follow celebrity culture and gossip.
13) Listen to great music.
14) Always strive to do the small things for other.  Always strive to never sweat the small stuff in life, always enjoy the small moments.
15) Be strong and unshakable in my beliefs.  However, empathetic to other beliefs.  
16) Always consciously trying to make a difference in the world, my community or someone's life.
17) Don't get too caught up in tradition or properness.  
18) Rid myself of materialistic ideations...don't have any shopping addictions or obsession with one type of clothing like shoes or purses.   
19) Put my whole heart into things I don't like.  Put my whole heart into everything.
20) Learn to love and appreciate children. 
21) Integrity. Integrity. Integrity.  
What kind of women (or man)do you hope to be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment