Saturday, June 28, 2014

Telluride, CO Part 1

I'm still dreaming about this magical little mountain town.  

 So, the story of my love for Colorado starts about 10 years ago when we first visited as a family.  I remember it being my first introduction to a Subaru and decidedly knowing that I would own one once I got older.  I remember the enchanting mountain towns where nature met culture met laid back vibes.  Ever since then I have wanted to move back or visit and this post confirms it.  

A few hours after getting off the plane, I was hiking my first hike up to Hanging Lake.  And man, a combination of altitude + being not in the greatest shape made for a semi-pitiful climb/walk/hike.  But to be surrounded by mountains and to breath in that fresh mountain air....

 The total hour trip from Denver to Telluride was about six hours.  Passing all of the mountain ranges- 14'ers, San Juan, Grand Mesa- made it so worth it.  It was amazing to see how in a matter of 30 minutes snow topped alpine peaks replaced with reddish brown mountains with desert vegetation. 

Once we got there, we set up campsite at the high school (the quiet/family campsite) and headed into town for pizza at the Brown Dog.  The Brown Dog quickly felt like home due to all of the University of Michigan memorabilia on the walls as well as "Detroit" style pizza being served.  Which for the record, was news to me- I had no idea Detroit had their own style.  But I guess wherever you go, Go Blue! ;)

One of my favorite parts about vacation, is developing a new routine in a new place.  For me, I loved the routine of waking up every morning- breathing in the morning air, making breakfast, packing lunch, then wrestling my crazy tent hair.  After, we would make the walk down to the festival grounds through main street. 

The view from the campsite.

Walking around downtown:

Sometimes I felt like I was back in India will all of the awesome prayer flags.
Munchin on my morning croissant.
 

I also spied on dream houses:

No comments:

Post a Comment